Keeping Active at Home
Keeping Active at Home Ideas
The booklet is under 'Files to Download' at the bottom of the page. It provides instructions on how to play traditional school yard games.
The Skipping Challenge
Climb the highest peaks in Europe #BeActive. The sheet is under 'Files to Download' at the bottom of the page and it tells you how many skips you need to do to reach the top. Climb a mountain over a few days or skip to the top in a day. Get to the top with the help of your family. How many mountains can your family climb? Let us know on the @Mount_Carmel1 twitter page and #BeActive.
Skipping Tips & Websites
- Different skipping techniques- two feet/ one foot to the other (the boxer skip puts less pressure on the knees)
- Length of the rope- just under your armpits
- Footwear- pumps or trainers
- NHS general advice on how to skip and activity ideas to help your child with skipping- https://www.nhsggc.org.uk/kids/resources/ot-activityinformation-sheets/skipping/
- Game to teach your child how to skip- https://activeforlife.com/skipping/
- More skipping games and rhymes- https://www.theamazingjumprope.com/why-every-kid-must-have-a-jump-rope/
- Jump Rope Instruction App- basics to increasingly difficult skill levels- Key Stage 2 http://skippingskills.com/#firstSection
Your School Games
School Games Active Championships
The School Games Active Championships is a national activity campaign to help young people across the UK to #StayInWorkOut using the video-based platform powered by TopYa! New challenges will be available every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to engage with.
Primary and secondary-aged children can join the School Games Active Championships at any time with free active challenges being set via videos within a designated School Games version of the TopYa! Active app. All they need to do is download the app and type in the Invite Code 23880.
Please visit the website to find out more: https://www.yourschoolgames.com/coronavirus-support/school-games-active-championships/
Create your own account, and then create your young person's account(s). Skip the invite process and simply tell them their username or let them use your device to submit challenges. (They need your permission to use the app if they are younger than 13). All activity on the app is COPPA and GDPR compliant, providing a safe online space for children to complete skill challenges, upload videos and get thoughtful virtual coaching feedback.
Follow these steps:
- Download the TopYa! Active app from the App Store or Google Play
- Create your Parent account
- When prompted to enter an Invite Code enter 23880 and then choose Primary or Secondary School League based on which type of school your child attends
- Then create your kid(s) account(s)
- Let them work on the activities on their own device or film and upload videos from your device on their behalf!
Visit the website for links to keep the whole family active. https://www.sportengland.org/stayinworkout